Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Are you working hard?

My dad and I are shooting the shit and he asks, "So, are you working hard?"

I take in his words and reply, "No. Actually, I'm not."

He's a bit thrown. "Well, are you working?"

And I start to really feel the depth of how 'working' and 'hard' have always gone hand in hand in my life. I'm not sure if it is because of my Lineage or just how I was raised as an American. But, whatever it is, I'm so OVER IT!

I'm not talking about being irresponsible. I'm just talking about moving out of the 'salmon swimming upstream' paradigm - where work, hard and money are all in the same breath and into the downstream flow - where I just might float in an inner tube for a while and enjoy the ride.

As I sink deeper into the 'pause' I have created in my life, I settle deeper into the unknown, and feel the beginning edges of the potency that is so abundant- yet so foreign. I start to get a sense of how the unknown is not dark and scary, but a dark, fertile, spacious ground for ALL possibilities - which I humbly acknowledge is way beyond anything that I could create.

As I take in his question I feel the truth of my response, "Yes, I am working. But, I'm not working hard anymore. I'm working easy."

2 comments:

jason mayland said...

Yes! YES! I am very much in agreement with you. This is a lesson the universe taught me over my long employment drought --

And it relates to relationships, too, I've found. You have to work at relationships every day, but it is working easy. If it becomes hard work then something is wrong.

Unknown said...

"...I'm working easy." Brilliantly put! We, too, are in the midst of some serious value clarification er stuff, and in total agreement!

Thinking of you often, today on Audrey's birthday, as well as Tamara.

Pics your way soon of Miss Piper!