Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Round 6 is non eventful


I have new side effects of the chmo this time. My face is more swollen (thanks steroids!) and some swelling in my legs (yet another joy of pregnancy I get to experience). Canckles really are not fun. Because there was a bit more in my left than right leg, Dr. G wanted to do an ultra sound to rule out blood clots. Nothing there.

That's me in my winter Kangol (they make the best hats for us chemo chicks. Why don't people realize that bald chicks look awful in baseball caps??)

Luckily I was still able to squeeze in my before-chemo manicure - but just barely!

I am trying something new with my body this round. There are studies done on mice that say they fare better with the chemo when they are fasted for 48 hours. The idea is that when we go into 'starvation' mode, the healthy cells put up protection and the cancer cells do not have the ability. So, the healthy cells stay away from the side effects of the chemo and the cancer cells become more vulnerable and irradiated.

I've cleansed and fasted for years, so this was nothing new for me and made sense in my body. And to be honest, my body is not craving food. So, I listened, I stayed hydrated and had green drinks and told Dr. G - who is getting used to me by now.

In fact Dr. G congratulated me (and even hugged me!) and said how well I am doing for someone who refuses side effect meds as well as having great reactions to the chemo.

That being said, when Sufi and I arrived at 10pm at the infusion center, I checked in with my body and new that I needed Attivan. So I took that along with the two usual pre-meds: an antacid/nausea liquid and steroids.

Today things are going well. I had another nurse friend come over to give me an IV of fluids followed by another apple and some pasta. Then I went to have a lymphatic drainage massage, and came home craving raw meet, raw cream and young coconut water.

I'm not feeling nausea, but then again, to day is the day before the day after.... I'll let you know tomorrow!

No comments: