Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Bad Hair Day... Good Hat Day!

It is officially offical. I am not one of those blessed people who will not loose their hair. It is comin' out. I am shedding and it is kinda gross. I run my finger's through my hair and I get a lots of strands. I already said I was done washing it (not a big deal for those of you who know long hair) and I don't brush my hair all that often anyways (sorry mom, but those threats from kindergaren of cutting my hair if I don't brush it stopped working when I left the house - I've always liked the 'slept in look'.)

So, I went shopping for scarfs and hats and SCORED!! Yup, I got that cute hat over there. As soon as I found it, it went on the head.

Off I went to see Dr. G, sporting my new style: hat on head. Dr. G's main man, Ricardo gives me a hug hello. Nurse Ana asks, "How are you?" I reply, "Well I am officially having a bad hair day." She looked at me, smiled and replied, "No you are not, you are having a good hat day!" Yup, I'm with the right team!

Today's visit was a good day visit. We check my breasts. They have gotten less swollen, less red and softer since the Chemo. That is a sign that it is working well. Dr. G went to check my lymphs and after prodding hard to try and find them he reported that it is a 'good sign' that he's having a hard time trying to find them!! That means they too are less swollen. YES!! I was so happy!! I told him I've been asking Chemo to do the job it is good at: killing cancer... and it seems like Chemo is excelling in that department.

Then I wanted to discuss next weeks treatment and the side effect medicines to try and custom taylor a program for me based on last time. That is were I got a big compliment from Dr G. He said that I faired much better in the Nausea and Vomitting department then he thought I would! YES!!! 2 points for E. Bachner!

The expectation is that the treatments will continue to go the same way as the first one - but, as usually, plans are for the non-believers, so I need to be prepared for the bases to be thrown. The toxins themself do not accumulate in the system, but is the lethargy that can increase, as the Chemo kills things that are living, and things that my body needs to feel rested and itself.

My big fear is not the nausea and vomitting, but the constipation, coz toxins leave the system via sweating and bowels... the last thing I want is the bowels to get backed up so the liver, kidneys and hence lymph can not dump the very toxic waste coming through me. But I'm open to playing around with the meds. But I was very clear: One bag at a time!!! No more doubling up on the pre-meds!

Off to the movies... more glorious distractions from my life! I hope the person in back of me can see around my hat because it is SO NOT comin' off in public!

No comments: