Tuesday, September 9, 2008

The world of wigs

If you are gonna spend the afternoon wig shopping, do choose a friend who has as much fun trying on wigs as you do! That's Amanda, the 'other' blonde in the photo. Not only is she a fashion designer, but she is also a doula (yeah, I know, I know a lot of doulas).

Where to begin? there are so many to choose from!!! Short, long, white? red? purple? (that one was nixed). What about something that looks just like my hair? What about something that makes me look like someone else? At some point they all start to look alike. When did $500 bucks on wig become part of my non existant budget?

In the end, I bought that funky blonde on in the photo, and wanted to sit on spending another $700. Amanda thinks I'm gonna rock the bald look and should hold out on the wigs. And, scarfs are big this fall. I could get into scarfs, with some big earings??

This is all a bit surreal.

5 hours and one $30 wig later I allow myself to drop into the sadness of the reality that my hair is falling out. It is becoming easier to deal with, especially with the support and laughter of a good friend.


No comments: